Monday, July 09, 2007

The Bayon and my Pathos.

On day 4... is it really only day 4? I've been trying to get through Cambodia, but the amount of pictures has been overwhelming. And, I've also been a bit lazy too. Actualally, I have something I have to admit as to why I haven't been writing as much as I should have. I've been involved with something that has taken over my life. I've been hooked and have shut everything else out of my life lately... and I'm not proud of it. Sometimes we let these things consume our thoughts, and it's hard to move on. In the meantime... here are the glorious temples of Angkor Thom. Pictured to the left is the gateway to the city, and it's pretty darned impressive.

The first stop through the gate of Angkor Thom was the temple Bayon. Oh...my...dear...Lord!! This temple was amazing beyond belief! I probably took seventy pictures of this temple. The pictures can not possibly do it justice, but you might get the idea. Bayon is famous for the mysterious faces that are carved into the massive temple. Trying to count the faces in the few pictures I'm posting is like trying to count the ... sorry, no simile. It is very cool, however. Anyway, back to the beast that's taken over my thoughts and free time lately. I think I may need help.

This was a sweltering day, and there isn't much to say other than the fact that I meandered around this tremendous temple in the jungle. Having seen the extreme poverty and desperation of Phnom Penh, it was amazing to see the absolutely incredible achievements of this culture's past. Take this hand-engraved picture, for instance. Images like this were on every post in every room in this massive, massive temple. I've never seen the pyramids (but, you all know I will some time), but this struck me as the most incredible achievement in architecture and artistry that I've ever seen. The scope and scale of this project is mind-boggling.
Try to count the faces in the picture on the left, just for fun. I could have easily spent the entire day here, but there was just too many other places to see. This may have been my favorite, but it's hard to discount the granddaddy of them all, being Angkor Wat of course. I really like that I got the sky in the background. I rarely get to see a blue sky in Korea, and this was a real treat to see this sky for a week. That being said, it was ridiculously hot. Having spent my younger years in Texas and having been through Missouri summers (it's gotten as hot in Missouri as any other place I've been), it was no big deal. I actually quite enjoyed the heat with the exception of the market in Phnom Penh. Anyway, back to the beast... a friend of mine introduced me to this thing a couple of weeks back and I've been able to do nothing but abuse it and think about it ever since. It's practically taken over my life, but it won't last forever.



The addiction I speak of is the series "Rome". A friend by the name of Andrew lent me season 1 a couple of weeks back and I haven't been able to quit watching it. I've been going back over it and watching the extra features, and I'm anxiously awaiting the release of season 2 (I've seen the first half of it via a Seoul street bootleg copy.), which I'll certainly buy. Not since the first two seasons of The Sopranos have I been so hooked by a show. This one might even top that. I've been so intrigued by it that I'm now going back and re-reading Julius Caesar and Anthony and Cleopatra. The historical aspect of the show is fascinating and accurate, while it also happens to be entertaining with great characters. It might take about 2 episodes to get into it, but once you do, you're hooked. I wouldn't watch it with the children, however. I'll leave this entry with one last picture. It was difficult to choose which ones to use, but I'll post them all online sometime soon and be sure to give the url to whomever wants to see them. I've got several drafts going now, so expect alot of action on the blog this week... and then I'll finally get back to life in Korea. Next up: Ta Prohm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home