Thursday, January 03, 2008

First thoughts on Indonesia

First things first. I'd like to wish everyone a happy and productive 2008. Last year was one of transition and change, but it ended very well. I had the week of Christmas off and took the opportunity to travel to Indonesia. I had been eyeing Mount Rinjani for a long time and decided to use my time off to trek this active volcano on the island of Lombok.

There were some concerns heading into Jakarta, where I had a layover. Indonesia seems to bear the label of a dangerous place. With all the concerns of Muslim extremism and anti-Americanism, not to mention the unfortunate and infamous Bali bombing, I had some reservations about traveling there. However, I refuse to let fear govern my actions and decided to go for it. I would be very cautious though.

I spent one night in Jakarta and got no pictures. I don't like the idea of walking around at night taking pictures as it can make one a target. Some research on the internet beforehand led me to the backpackers district of Jalan Jaksa. This was by far the filthiest, seediest place I'd ever been to. I was able to enjoy a little of their nightlife, and found the people to be very friendly and easy-going. I ended up in a dark club with very loud live music. The patrons, all local, drank beer and danced in lively fashion. It was nice to take refuge from all of the people on the street selling any kind of service imaginable (That's about all I need to say about that.). The desperation of people to make a buck mirrored many of the things I saw in Thailand and Cambodia. Indonesia continually struck me as a cross between the two. I didn't encounter the harassment I was constantly barraged with in Cambodia, but there was a little more than I experienced in Thailand.

The night in Jakarta was an inconvenience more than a planned visit. I couldn't help the layover so I did my best to at least get a mental snapshot of the city at night. I wouldn't recommend this place, but it wasn't altogether bad. I had planned for Lombok and was looking forward to my trek. This was Saturday night and I flew to Lombok the next morning. The plane was delayed two hours and I felt as if I couldn't get out of Jakarta soon enough.

About the trek: I had discovered this mountain last year while trying to figure out what to do with a week off. I ended up spending that week traveling around Korea, but the trek stayed in the back of my mind. Mount Rinjani is an active volcano situated in the middle of a tropical island. I would divvy my time trekking and lounging on the beach. I made a reservation with a guide for four days and three nights. Many sources I came across called this the best trek in Southeast Asia--it did not disappoint. This week I'll be posting my experiences on the island complete with pictures and everything. Keep an eye out for the adventures all week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jesstern said...

Looking forward to hearing about it (and seeing the pics)!

4:37 PM  
Blogger U City Two said...

good to see you writing. we all missed you.

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home