Thursday, December 01, 2005

Forget it, I quit.

I give up. I quit. I've been trying to upload, or download, or sideload, or whatever the whatyouwanttosay load this stinking (PG 13 journal) picture for the last hour (more like three days) and I just can't do it. Honestly, I have no idea how I successfully posted the pictures that we all saw, but I think it was akin to a blind squirrel finding an acorn. Actually, I think the blind squirrel had the better odds of the two.

So now we should take this moment to give thanks for the unbelievably fortuitous current in the ebb and flow of the universe that somehow allowed me to show nice pictures to go along with the not as interesting words. I have this really nice picture of my students eating dok boki, and I wanted to share it with the world. Alas. So, while I re-configure the method in which a sun shines on a dog's bungus (is that a better word than ass?), I'll digress and talk about dok boki.

My first week of class I was pretty much clueless (Oh yeah, I'm much better now), so I took it casual and talked to the kids about food. I went about it by writing what I had for lunch on the board in Hangul (the Korean alphabet) and having them describe it to me. I ended up having them write what they had in Hangul and we would go through each item and describe what it is, how it is cooked, what it tastes like, etc. etc. While it sounds silly, it actually was a great conversation piece, simultaneously stimulating conversation and helping me decide what to order for dinner.

One thing about Koreans: They really love their food, and they love to talk about it. Being a lover of food myself, the first week was really stimulating. One thing that I found that every kid ate yet noone could really describe was dok boki. Now, "dok" is a type of rice dumpling, which is akin to a chewy noodle. Not bad. Don't ask me what the hell "boki" means, though. I know that kids here are obsessed with this stuff and they eat it all of the time. It consists of tubular rice dumplings cooked in a spicy red sauce (think Chef Boyardee with a zing) and topped with cheese. Oh, and like C.B. the treat has meatballs, called odeng (don't ask me if the spelling is correct, just think: "oh, dang."). These meatballs are actually funky gelatinous fishballs which is probably where the term "oh, dang" came from.

Anyway, the picture I meant to show was yours truly eating dok boki with his smartest and gentlest class. However, technology frightens and confuses yours truly so you'll have to wait a day or so to visualize this scene. Since I couldn't leave my beloved (3) readers empty-handed for half a week, I decided to give y'all this pointless rant. So next time, which will be soon, think Peter, Patrick, Sean, Angel, Rudy, Lina, and dok boki... and have a wonderful day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home