Monday, December 05, 2005

At last, a post that actually says something.

Not, really, but I did finally get somewhat of a handle on my technological inefficiency and was able to locate this picture. It took me about six hours, which in this pc room will run me about four bucks. A pc room (known around here as a pc bang) is a place where anyone can get on a computer and surf the net or play computer games. They are on every street corner and usually cost 1000 won per hour. They are typically noisy and smoky, however this one is very nice. There are normally kids here, but it has never been too crowded, noisy, or smoky for my liking. Plus, they bring me coffee when I sit down, which tastes suspiciously like cheap hot chocolate.

Starting clockwise from the left, we have Patrick, Peter, Sean, Angel, Lina, and Rudy. As you may know from my pictures, about one in every four Korean girls are born with a defect in which they have no nose or mouth. Thus, Lina opted to hide her shame behind Rudy. I took this picture after our trip to the local street vendor for dok boki. Not pictured is the strained look of hidden disgust as I bit into a gelatinous, funky, fishy meatball. "How do you like, teacher?" they say. To which I reply: "It's (gag) delicious." as I try to hide my grimace. Actually the rice dumplings, cheese, and sauce are tasty--it's the fishballs (or possibly a fish's balls) that I have a hard time with.

What I don't have a hard time with is this particular class. They are my smartest bunch and I look forward to seeing them on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays. We are currently practicing "Santa Claus is coming to Town" for the Christmas album. I would have objected to singing a song about Satan Claus, but international law mandates that it is un-p.c. to mention Jesus in the classroom, even though it's his birthday and all. Joking aside, (yes, I was joking--sort of) the kids are very enthusiastic singers, which is a quality I've found common to most of my kids. They just love to belt out into song, and I don't mind as long as I don't have to sing along. So we begin recording wednesday and the album will be done by Christmas. I'm working on other songs with my other classes and I can't wait to see how "Blue Christmas" with the 6-8 year olds will turn out. I have to admit, song practice is fun. The only downside is the fact that it's the first week of December and I'm already sick of Christmas music.

HO, HO, HO!!! Merry Christmas and God bless us, everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home