Monday, December 12, 2005

Meandering gobbledygook

I don't really have a topic to write about this evening, but I feel obligated to post something. I actually have a few topics I want to cover this week, however, I don't have the pictures on hand as they are on the office computer. All of my time on the office computer the last week has been eaten up by student evaluations.

Student evaluations are a pain for all teachers and are especially tough for me since I still can't remember everyone's names. I have somewhere between 60 and 90 students and had to assess each one's performance this week. Generally I would follow a simple formula. First thing to do is to start off with a general, vague complement i.e. Suzi is a good student and she demonstrates a grasp of the material or Johnny is a good student and he demonstrates a grasp of the material. Next, I follow up with a blurb on their behaviour, i.e. Suzi is very well behaved in the classroom and sets a fine example for the other students or Johnny'd better straighten his ass up in the classroom or I will physically kill him. After that, I offer a small, tactful blurb on their deficiency(s), i.e. While Suzy shows tremendous potential, she is a little behind the other students in her reading and would benefit from a little extra study at home or Johnny is not a complete retard and is decently capable of learning English if he quit screwing around. Lastly, I offer a complement and a little encouragement i.e. Keep up the good work Suzi, and you'll be caught up with the rest of the class in no time or Johnny, you're lucky to be alive at this point. Pay attention, or else!

Now, repeat this formula 80 times and you'll understand why I haven't posted anything.

I realize this post is a little all over the place, but I didn't have a topic and wrote it because it was due. Ahhh, takes me back to my Ol' Mizzou days. Speaking of Missouri, I spoke with a fellow from Colorado the other night and he referred to Missouri as the New Jersey of the midwest. The question I have is who should be more offended, Missourians or New Jersians (New Jerseyans?, I dunno)? I do miss the old university and even checked the standings today. Mizzou football finished 6-5, while the basketball team is 3-3. Some things will never change. Death, taxes, and Mizzou sports mediocrity.

Anyway, I just wanted to get something out there for my devoted fans (mom and dad) and to say that I'll have something more substantial and possibly entertaining in the next day or so--pictures included. As soon as the evaluation hangover wears off...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home